Saturday, January 24, 2015

catching up

My last post was in March of 2014. The next one might be tomorrow or it might be next year or maybe this is the last one, who knows.  For whatever reason I just felt like writing today.

It's been over a week since I deactivated my Facebook account. Pretty much every time I logged in, I sat there thinking how much of my time I am wasting and does most of what I am reading really matter in the grand scheme of things?  Finally I decided no, it doesn't so I just quit cold turkey.

One of the things I considered was thinning out my list of friends.  Most of them were like me and rarely, if ever posted anything.  If they never post anything then you never know what they are up to anyway unless you take the drastic step of actually trying to contact them.  I don't even know how to text on my technologically challenged cell phone which means I'd have to talk to them (as in, using my voice) and in these days of electronic communications the thought of me vocalizing is sort of terrifying.

Facebook follows the 80/20 rule.  80% of the posts come from 20% of the people. And of those posts about 80% of it has no real significance to me and a lot of the remaining 20% isn't earth shattering if I overlook it.

That's not to say I don't value my friends but I've embarked on a mission of trying to remove as much noise from my life as possible. By "noise" I mean stuff that takes up time that in retrospect I could really live without.  What? I can live without friends?  That's not what I mean; what I mean is I could live without nearly everything they plaster on Facebook.

In the end I just decided to deactivate my account.  "Deactivate" is Facebook's terminology. I can still log in at any time and have everything restored just like it was, in case I regret my choice.  So far I've resisted.

I also closed out my Linked In account.  That decision was a no-brainer. I think Linked In is one of the stupidest things going.  Do I really care to hear that so-and-so just added a new skill to their repertoire?  Or who they are now "connected" to?  Or that someone has endorsed me for some skill? Or that someone I've never heard of thinks I am so special they want to connect with me? That's nice, but I don't think any of that stuff has any credibility within a you scratch my back I'll scratch yours framework.

Linked In calls it "closed" and Facebook calls it "deactivated."  I suppose it ought to be just as easy to open what's been closed as it is to activate what's been deactivated but Linked In made it sound more final than Facebook.

In either case, it is finis.